Case Study 1
Sustainability report for a Public Sector Oil and Gas major
Synopsis: We assisted an oil and gas player in the Middle East in developing its first sustainability report. We setup sustainability data collection and management systems and conducted stakeholder consultations and a materiality assessment. We worked closely with the senior management in articulating the sustainability vision for the company and the management approach across identified material issues
- Issue/What was the problem: The client wanted to bring out a unique sustainability report highlighting the socio-economic impact it has generated in the last 40 years and at the same time aligning the report with the requirements of GRI
- Action/What we did: Worked closely with the client’s management team to arrive at a unique reporting structure tailored to its requirements. We conducted stakeholder consultations and a materiality assessment. We also engaged with the Board of the company to understand its sustainability vision and strategy and articulated the same in its sustainability report. We prepared the report with a unique reporting structure and presentation tailored to client’s requirements.
Case Study 2
Materiality Assessment for a Public Sector O&G Major
Synopsis: We advised a Oil & Gas major in developing a robust stakeholder engagement framework and designing a materiality matrix based on environmental and social issues of concern to the company.
- Issue/What was the problem: The client had overlapping, inconsistent ways of interacting with stakeholders and lack of focus on sustainability drivers during stakeholder engagement. Most engagement modes were reactive in nature and based on operational issues. The client wanted to develop a consistent stakeholder engagement framework defining the primary, secondary and tertiary stakeholders, the sustainability discussion points, modes and frequency of engagements. Also, based on the framework developed, the client wanted to revisit their material sustainability issues through interactions with primary stakeholders.
- Action/What we did: We identified 37 sustainability issues based on review of peer practices, the environmental and social concerns from global, national and regional perspectives and discussions with the company’s senior management on the relevance of each issue with respect to the client’s operations. We leveraged PwC’s Qualtrics online platform engaged with 1028 stakeholders covering regulators, NGOs, local community, employees, customers and suppliers to elicit their environmental and societal concerns and expectations from the company vis-vis those concerns. Based on these interactions, a business case for each sustainability issues was ascertained and a materiality matrix was finalised for the company as a first step towards sustainability strategy development. Simultaneously, we reviewed the company’s existing stakeholder engagement practices in terms of profile and types of stakeholders engaged with, modes, frequency, and subject of discussions. Based on the review findings and international good practices, we assisted the client develop a well-structured stakeholder engagement framework focussing on sustainability issues of importance.
Case Study 3
Sustainability Strategy for e-waste management for an IT major
Synopsis: Conceiving product stewardship services for customers and consumers through ensuring end-of-life disposal of products (e-waste) harnessing the potential of the unorganised sector and derive competitive advantage from such initiatives.
- Issue/What was the problem: The client did not have a sustainability strategy focussing on the lifecycle environmental impacts of their products. There was a need for incorporation of issues of importance to the company’s stakeholders in the strategy.
- Action/What we did: We assessed the value chain of hazardous wastes, e-wastes generated from the company’s products, identified their life cycle environmental issues, and estimated the impacts of these issues within and outside the organisation. We also assessed the company’s existing stakeholder engagement practice and the basis of their commitments to different stakeholders on a variety of issues such as complete elimination of Brominated Flame Retardants (BFR), advocacy with the Indian Government for inclusion of Individual Producer Responsibility laws etc. We also assisted the client in identifying national and international good practices to address environmental issue of importance to the company’s stakeholders for incorporation in the company’s corporate sustainability strategy.